Stitched Up

Hello again everyone.  Thanks for checking in on me and supporting me.  I know I say this often, but I truly appreciate your thoughts and comments.  

I got stitched yesterday.   Didn’t like the spinal….not one bit.  It took 2.5 hrs to wear off …my lower body felt like it didn’t belong to me.  My legs felt like they were full of cement.  They also felt like they were still elevated as they were during the procedure, but they were actually out straight.  But, it was the best for the little one. 

The procedure was weird.  The spinal itself wasn’t bad, but the fact that I heard everything and was awake with half my body unknown to me was horrible.  I had a good anesthesiologist who kept talking with me throughout.  She actually saved me because the other one tried to get my IV in twice before this other lady took over and got it in one shot.  They didn’t use those nice warm towels to prep the veins like they do at CC.RM.  They said they did one stitch.  It was a McDon.ald type.  They measured the FHR before and after the procedure (it was 156 before and 148 after – I don’t think the one after was accurate, though).  There were 4 doctors in there…maybe one was a resident.  To seemed young, one seemed seasoned.  I wonder if I was an experiment.  I hope not. 

I was supposed to have a different doctor, who was highly recommended by my MFM, but the scheduling was rushed and he probably wasn’t available, ultimately.   DH and I decided on Tue that it was the way to go.  I told the MFM and he said that someone would call on Wed…they never did.  So I tried a few times, no return calls.  I finally get a hold of someone on Thur morning while at work at 9am and she said, ” your surgery is scheduled for today at 4:15; I tried to get you in for Friday morning but because this was somewhat last-minute, we had to go with  today; I didn’t call yet because I was trying to get it for Friday, sorry.   You should plan to arrive by 2pm.”  So, I had to get my arse out of work by noon, go home and shave my legs (only do that every 2-3 days in winter) and then get psyched up for this.  I had to stop eating and drinking by 9:30am.  So, as you can tell, it was a whirlwind. 

We got home at 9:30pm.   I was famished and crampy and wobbly, but it was great to get home.  I feel a bit more human today, still have some cramps/ light pain, but I stayed home to rest.  I will have a follow-up with the MFM group next week, then will see my OB the week after.

I love my OB.  I am going to continue seeing the MFM group, but I have a lot of confidence in her.  She has an excellent reputation, has a really nice way about her, is concise and to the point, and is very knowledgeable.  I saw her  last week and she was the only one….aside from Dr. Sch (yes, I emailed Tonie and she asked Dr. Sch his opinion and she replied that he thought the cerclage was a good idea)… that provided an opinion on whether or not to get one.  She thought it was advisable to get one, considering my cervical length measured at 2.4 at the NT scan.  It had been 3.9 just before Christma.s.  The doctors do say that it’s tough to get an accurate cervical length in the first tri because they can’t always see the borders clearly, but 2.4 was my last reading to go by and that was what clinched it for us.

Another thing about my OB…I had told my former RE, who did my early scans, that I wanted to go to her due to several recommendations.  He sent her a letter describing my situation.  Because they are a group, and because she is in high demand,  I wasn’t able to get an appointment with her until last week.  When she came in she shook my hand and said that she was so happy to finally meet me.  She mentioned the letter from my RE.   She said she’s seen my former RE a few times recently and that he always brings me up.  I said that I think he’s happy for me.  She said, “trust me, I know him well, he’s extremely happy for you!  We’re going to keep a good eye on you”.    It’s just so comforting. 

So, we’ll see….we all know how the medical profession can be, but I like to think and hope that they really do care. 

Other things.   We’ve been thinking about a kitchen remodel for a while and, prior to all this, I was thinking of getting started about now.  I’m thinking that we should still keep this plan and see how things play out.  If I end up on bed rest, etc., we’ll have to work through it.  Just as always.  But, I always put things off.  I have to think that there may never be a perfect time for this.  I know this seems crazy, but I’m thinking of pouring a good hunk of money into the range or into a cooktop and double wall ovens.  Gas burners, electric stove with either option.  Just need to look at what really fits best.  I’m looking at these….I know, very pricey, but we’ll sacrifice in other ways like maybe just refacing existing cabinets.

Wolf 48″ Duel Fuel Range

Wolf 48" Dual Fuel Range: Wolf Dual Fuel Ranges


Wolf Cooktop and Thermador Wall Ovens

Wolf 48" Gas Rangetop: Wolf Rangetops 30 inch Masterpiece© Series Double Oven MED302ES


6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. LisainSK
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:47:20

    Take it easy Daisy!! Great to hear from you…


  2. Flygirl555
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:05:25

    So happy your surgery went well. Love the idea of a kitchen remodel. Miss having double ovens like we did in my former house. Please take before and after pics!


  3. soulshine
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 11:04:05

    hey! so glad you’re home safe and you made a decision- i think i would have done the same.

    how great that you have such good care- great OB and a great MFM practice. it sounds like you are happy with the way things are set up, and that you are in good hands- in a way it is nice not to just be ‘another patient’, that they have reason to remember and relate to you (thanks IF & UU!).

    i love the double wall oven idea- this is what we had growing up, and a separate cook top. with kitchen stuff, i think its a good investment to buy the best that you can afford- for your own pleasure and for resale, too, if that is ever an issue.

    have a nice weekend of rest- good for watching football tomorrow! take it easy, and i’ll be thinking of you. so relieved that things are going well, ticking off one day at a time.


  4. Cassie
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 08:02:25

    I am glad that you are being aggressive about doing everything you can to protect this pregnancy. In my opinion you can’t be too safe. I am wishing you all the best!
    And I also think that a nice kitchen remodel will keep your mind off of things. Just make sure that you are just pointing and directing, nothing strenuous for you Daisysmom!


  5. Pearl
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 14:51:45

    I’m glad the procedure is over and that there were no complications. About remodeling the kitchen… it’s going to be easier now than once you have a crying baby that demands all your attention. And if you get bed rest… well then you’ll be always available for when the contractors come. I love the idea of not having to bend down to open the oven. It’s safer too, when you have a curious toddler, don’t you think?


  6. soulshine
    Jan 29, 2012 @ 07:20:44

    how did things go this week? how are you feeling?

    just thinking of you… hope things are well 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: